Bartow County

Bartow County was created in 1832 as "Cass County" to honor General Lewis Cass of Michigan. When the General's views on abolition proved an embarrassment to the Confederate populace in 1861, they took steps to rename it to honor General Francis S. Bartow who led victorious Southern forces at the first battle of Manassas. The first county seat, Cassville, was destroyed by yet another general, William T. Sherman, then a point a few miles south on the railroad, Cartersville, was designated the new county seat.

Contact Information

Address 135 West Cherokee Avenue, Suite 251, Cartersville GA 30120
Telephone 770.387.5030
Fax 770.387.5023
Website http://www.bartowga.org

County Data

Snapshot County Snapshot from the GA Dept. of Community Affairs
Census Bartow County Census Data from U.S. Census
Other Data Sets County QuickFacts from the U.S. Census Bureau
Georgia Encyclopedia County Page from The New Georgia Encyclopedia
Wages & Salaries Local Government Wage and Salary Survey from DCA
Labor Market Georgia Labor Market Explorer & Analysis
Sales Tax Sales and Property Tax Rates from DOR
Hotel/Motel Tax Hotel/Motel Tax Report from DCA

Statistics and Rates

2008 Population 94913 (State Rank: 26)
Incorporated Millage Rage 9.07
Unincorporated Millage Rate 7.8
County Bond 0
School Maintenance/Operations 17.9
School Bond 0
Total Incorporated 26.97
Total Unincorporated 25.7

 

County Officials