Ben Hill County

Ben Hill County took its territory from parts of Irwin and Wilcox counties in 1906, and was given the name of a staunch Reconstruction leader, Benjamin Harvey Hill. Hill had served in both the U. S. and the Confederate Congress. Fitzgerald, the county seat, was founded by 5,000 members of the non-profit American Tribune Soldiers' Colony Company who came from 38 other states. Philander Fitzgerald, for whom the town was named, was the publisher of the American Tribune.

Contact Information

Address 402 A East Pine Street, Fitzgerald GA 31750
Telephone 229.426.5100
Fax 229.426.5104
Website http://www.benhillcounty.com

County Data

Snapshot County Snapshot from the GA Dept. of Community Affairs
Census Ben Hill County Census Data from U.S. Census
Other Data Sets County QuickFacts from the U.S. Census Bureau
Georgia Encyclopedia County Page from The New Georgia Encyclopedia
Wages & Salaries Local Government Wage and Salary Survey from DCA
Labor Market Georgia Labor Market Explorer & Analysis
Sales Tax Sales and Property Tax Rates from DOR
Hotel/Motel Tax Hotel/Motel Tax Report from DCA

Statistics and Rates

2008 Population 17635 (State Rank: 94)
Incorporated Millage Rage 13.66
Unincorporated Millage Rate 13.66
County Bond 0
School Maintenance/Operations 15.45
School Bond 0
Total Incorporated 29.11
Total Unincorporated 29.11

 

County Officials