Evans County

Evans County was created in 1914 from lands of Tattnall and Bulloch counties. It also encompasses what was once a corner of Washington County derived from a tract ceded by the Creek Indians. It is named for Confederate General Clement A. Evans who led the last charge of the Army of Virginia at Appomattox. Claxton, the county seat, was once called Hendrix.

Contact Information

Address 3 Freeman Street, Claxton GA 30417
Telephone 912.739.1141
Fax 912.739.0111
Website http://www.evanscounty.org

County Data

Snapshot County Snapshot from the GA Dept. of Community Affairs
Census Evans County Census Data from U.S. Census
Other Data Sets County QuickFacts from the U.S. Census Bureau
Georgia Encyclopedia County Page from The New Georgia Encyclopedia
Wages & Salaries Local Government Wage and Salary Survey from DCA
Labor Market Georgia Labor Market Explorer & Analysis
Sales Tax Sales and Property Tax Rates from DOR
Hotel/Motel Tax Hotel/Motel Tax Report from DCA

Statistics and Rates

2008 Population 11646 (State Rank: 116)
Incorporated Millage Rage 10.46
Unincorporated Millage Rate 8.35
County Bond 0
School Maintenance/Operations 12
School Bond 0
Total Incorporated 22.46
Total Unincorporated 20.35

 

County Officials