Jackson County

Jackson County was created in 1796 from the headright county of Franklin. It was named for General James Jackson who served in the Revolutionary War, was a member of Congress and then the U. S. Senate. Jefferson, the county seat, honors Thomas Jefferson. It was in Jackson County that Dr. Crawford W. Long performed surgery using an anesthetic, ether, for the first time, March 30, 1842.

Contact Information

Address 67 Athens Street, Jefferson GA 30549
Telephone 706.367.6312
Fax 706.367.9083
Website http://www.jacksoncountygov.com

County Data

Snapshot County Snapshot from the GA Dept. of Community Affairs
Census Jackson County Census Data from U.S. Census
Other Data Sets County QuickFacts from the U.S. Census Bureau
Georgia Encyclopedia County Page from The New Georgia Encyclopedia
Wages & Salaries Local Government Wage and Salary Survey from DCA
Labor Market Georgia Labor Market Explorer & Analysis
Sales Tax Sales and Property Tax Rates from DOR
Hotel/Motel Tax Hotel/Motel Tax Report from DCA

Statistics and Rates

2008 Population 61620 (State Rank: 37)
Incorporated Millage Rage 9.5
Unincorporated Millage Rate 8.61
County Bond 0
School Maintenance/Operations 18.9
School Bond 0
Total Incorporated 28.4
Total Unincorporated 27.51

 

County Officials