Johnson County

Johnson County was created in 1858 from parts of Washington, Emanuel and Laurens counties. Its name honors Hershel V. Johnson, Georgia governor and Stephen Douglas' running mate in an unsuccess­ful bid against Abraham Lincoln in 1860. Wrightsville, the county seat, is thought to be named for John B. Wright, a pioneer resident. This coun­ty's irregular southern boundary was an accommodation for a citizen so irate with his county commissioner that he prevailed on his legislators to separate his land from Johnson County. The Jefferson/Johnson county line follows the route of the Old Sunbury Road, one of the longest thoroughfares of its time. It was laid out in the 1790s.

Contact Information

Address P.O. Box 269, Wrightsville GA 31096-0269
Telephone 478.864.3388
Fax 478.864.9441
Website http://johnsonco.org

County Data

Snapshot County Snapshot from the GA Dept. of Community Affairs
Census Johnson County Census Data from U.S. Census
Other Data Sets County QuickFacts from the U.S. Census Bureau
Georgia Encyclopedia County Page from The New Georgia Encyclopedia
Wages & Salaries Local Government Wage and Salary Survey from DCA
Labor Market Georgia Labor Market Explorer & Analysis
Sales Tax Sales and Property Tax Rates from DOR
Hotel/Motel Tax Hotel/Motel Tax Report from DCA

Statistics and Rates

2008 Population 9550 (State Rank: 131)
Incorporated Millage Rage 11.649
Unincorporated Millage Rate 11.649
County Bond 0
School Maintenance/Operations 10.027
School Bond 0
Total Incorporated 21.676
Total Unincorporated 21.676

 

County Officials