Screven County

Screven County was first organized from parts of Burke and Effingham counties in 1793. Its land had been part of the Colonial parishes of St. Phillip and St. Matthew. As was common with counties created in this period, it was named for a Revolutionary War figure, General James Screven. This county has had three county seats, the current one being Sylvania, named for its forest setting.

Contact Information

Address P.O. Box 159, Sylvania GA 30467-0159
Telephone 912.564.7535
Fax 912.564.2562
Website http://www.screvencounty.com/

County Data

Snapshot County Snapshot from the GA Dept. of Community Affairs
Census Screven County Census Data from U.S. Census
Other Data Sets County QuickFacts from the U.S. Census Bureau
Georgia Encyclopedia County Page from The New Georgia Encyclopedia
Wages & Salaries Local Government Wage and Salary Survey from DCA
Labor Market Georgia Labor Market Explorer & Analysis
Sales Tax Sales and Property Tax Rates from DOR
Hotel/Motel Tax Hotel/Motel Tax Report from DCA

Statistics and Rates

2008 Population 15133 (State Rank: 106)
Incorporated Millage Rage 9.938
Unincorporated Millage Rate 9.938
County Bond 0
School Maintenance/Operations 13
School Bond 0
Total Incorporated 22.938
Total Unincorporated 22.938

 

County Officials