Augusta-Richmond County

Richmond County, now consolidated with the City of Augusta, was an original headright county acquired from the Creek Indians by treaty in 1733 and organized as the Colonial parish of St. Paul in 1758. The site of Augusta at the head of navigation on the Savannah River had a fort to protect a trading post and a handful of settlers. At the time of the Revolution, the parish became Richmond County to honor the Duke of Richmond who had defended the colonists' cause in Parliament and had advocated their independence. The county seat was named for Princess Augusta, wife of the Prince of Wales.

Contact Information

Address 530 Greene Street, Room 806, Augusta GA 30911
Telephone 706.821.1820
Fax 706.821.1838
Website http://www.augustaga.gov

County Data

Snapshot County Snapshot from the GA Dept. of Community Affairs
Census Augusta-Richmond County Census Data from U.S. Census
Other Data Sets County QuickFacts from the U.S. Census Bureau
Georgia Encyclopedia County Page from The New Georgia Encyclopedia
Wages & Salaries Local Government Wage and Salary Survey from DCA
Labor Market Georgia Labor Market Explorer & Analysis
Sales Tax Sales and Property Tax Rates from DOR
Hotel/Motel Tax Hotel/Motel Tax Report from DCA

Statistics and Rates

2008 Population 199486 (State Rank: 8)
Incorporated Millage Rage 8.149
Unincorporated Millage Rate 8.149
County Bond 0
School Maintenance/Operations 19.342
School Bond 0
Total Incorporated 27.491
Total Unincorporated 27.491

 

County Officials