Chatham County

Chatham County encompasses the site of Oglethorpe's first landing in what was to become the Colony of Georgia. After the break with England, Chatham was the third county to be designated, comprising lands from Christ Church and St. Phillip parishes in 1777. It is named for one of England's most illustrious prime ministers, William Pitt, Earl of Chatham. Savannah, the county seat, is derived from a Spanish word meaning grassy plain.

Contact Information

Address P.O. Box 8161, Savannah GA 31412
Telephone 912.652.7875
Fax 912.652.7874
Website http://www.chathamcounty.org

County Data

Snapshot County Snapshot from the GA Dept. of Community Affairs
Census Chatham County Census Data from U.S. Census
Other Data Sets County QuickFacts from the U.S. Census Bureau
Georgia Encyclopedia County Page from The New Georgia Encyclopedia
Wages & Salaries Local Government Wage and Salary Survey from DCA
Labor Market Georgia Labor Market Explorer & Analysis
Sales Tax Sales and Property Tax Rates from DOR
Hotel/Motel Tax Hotel/Motel Tax Report from DCA

Statistics and Rates

2008 Population 251120 (State Rank: 6)
Incorporated Millage Rage 10.537
Unincorporated Millage Rate 10.537
County Bond 0
School Maintenance/Operations 13.404
School Bond 0
Total Incorporated 23.941
Total Unincorporated 23.941

 

County Officials