Clay County

Clay County was created from parts of Early and Randolph counties in 1854 and named for U. S. Senator Henry Clay of Kentucky, a defender of state sovereignty. In 1816 General Edmund Pendleton Gaines (who had arrested Aaron Burr for treason) built the fort that bears his name, and the county seat of Fort Gaines developed around it.

Contact Information

Address P.O. Box 519, Fort Gaines GA 39851
Telephone 229.768.3238
Fax 229.768.3672
Website http://www.claycountyga.org

County Data

Snapshot County Snapshot from the GA Dept. of Community Affairs
Census Clay County Census Data from U.S. Census
Other Data Sets County QuickFacts from the U.S. Census Bureau
Georgia Encyclopedia County Page from The New Georgia Encyclopedia
Wages & Salaries Local Government Wage and Salary Survey from DCA
Labor Market Georgia Labor Market Explorer & Analysis
Sales Tax Sales and Property Tax Rates from DOR
Hotel/Motel Tax Hotel/Motel Tax Report from DCA

Statistics and Rates

2008 Population 3231 (State Rank: 155)
Incorporated Millage Rage 15.127
Unincorporated Millage Rate 15.127
County Bond 0
School Maintenance/Operations 12
School Bond 0
Total Incorporated 27.127
Total Unincorporated 27.127

 

County Officials