Grady County

Grady County was created in 1905 from parts of Decatur and Thomas counties. Founders named it to honor Henry W. Grady, editor of The Atlanta Constitution during the Reconstruction Period and an advocate of the "new south." He sought to heal the bitter division between North and South. Cairo, the county seat, was named for the city in Egypt although the reason is unclear.

Contact Information

Address P.O. Box 7, Cairo GA 39828
Telephone 229.377.1512
Fax 229.377.1039
Website http://www.gradycountyga.gov

County Data

Snapshot County Snapshot from the GA Dept. of Community Affairs
Census Grady County Census Data from U.S. Census
Other Data Sets County QuickFacts from the U.S. Census Bureau
Georgia Encyclopedia County Page from The New Georgia Encyclopedia
Wages & Salaries Local Government Wage and Salary Survey from DCA
Labor Market Georgia Labor Market Explorer & Analysis
Sales Tax Sales and Property Tax Rates from DOR
Hotel/Motel Tax Hotel/Motel Tax Report from DCA

Statistics and Rates

2008 Population 25115 (State Rank: 72)
Incorporated Millage Rage 10.5
Unincorporated Millage Rate 10.5
County Bond 0
School Maintenance/Operations 12.9
School Bond 0
Total Incorporated 23.4
Total Unincorporated 23.4

 

County Officials