Henry County

Henry County was created from Creek Indian lands in 1821 and named for Patrick Henry, Virginia Patriot. McDonough, the county seat, is named for Commodore Thomas McDonough who was victorious over the British on Lake Champlain during the War of 1812. Land originally set aside as Henry County after the Treaty of Indian Springs contains what is now Butts, Clayton, DeKalb, Fulton, Newton, Spalding, and also included large portions of present day Rockdale and Fayette counties.

Contact Information

Address 140 Henry Parkway, McDonough GA 30253
Telephone 770.288.6251
Fax 770.288.6264
Website http://www.co.henry.ga.us

County Data

Snapshot County Snapshot from the GA Dept. of Community Affairs
Census Henry County Census Data from U.S. Census
Other Data Sets County QuickFacts from the U.S. Census Bureau
Georgia Encyclopedia County Page from The New Georgia Encyclopedia
Wages & Salaries Local Government Wage and Salary Survey from DCA
Labor Market Georgia Labor Market Explorer & Analysis
Sales Tax Sales and Property Tax Rates from DOR
Hotel/Motel Tax Hotel/Motel Tax Report from DCA

Statistics and Rates

2008 Population 191502 (State Rank: 9)
Incorporated Millage Rage 38.504
Unincorporated Millage Rate 10.969
County Bond 0
School Maintenance/Operations 20
School Bond 3.06
Total Incorporated 61.564
Total Unincorporated 34.029

 

County Officials