McDuffie County

McDuffie County was given territory from Columbia and Warren counties in 1870. It is named for George McDuffie, a native Georgian, who became a governor and senator for South Carolina. Thomson, the county seat, is named for J. Edgar Thomson, an engineer who surveyed the railroad that passes through the city. McDuffie County enjoyed an early gold strike when two Englishmen found valuable ore there in 1823. This region was heavily settled by Quakers, some 200 families of them at the outbreak of the Revolutionary War.

Contact Information

Address 337 Main Street, Thomson GA 30824
Telephone 706.595.2100
Fax 706.595.4710
Website http://www.thomson-mcduffie.com

County Data

Snapshot County Snapshot from the GA Dept. of Community Affairs
Census McDuffie County Census Data from U.S. Census
Other Data Sets County QuickFacts from the U.S. Census Bureau
Georgia Encyclopedia County Page from The New Georgia Encyclopedia
Wages & Salaries Local Government Wage and Salary Survey from DCA
Labor Market Georgia Labor Market Explorer & Analysis
Sales Tax Sales and Property Tax Rates from DOR
Hotel/Motel Tax Hotel/Motel Tax Report from DCA

Statistics and Rates

2008 Population 28200 (State Rank: 84)
Incorporated Millage Rage 8.5
Unincorporated Millage Rate 7.8
County Bond 0
School Maintenance/Operations 17.19
School Bond 0
Total Incorporated 25.69
Total Unincorporated 24.99

 

County Officials