Schley County

Schley County got its territory from the division of Marion, Macon and Sumter counties in 1857. It is named for William Schley, jurist, congress­man and governor of Georgia. The county seat, Ellaville, is named for the daughter of the man who sold land for the town site. It was incor­porated in 1859, but the nearby community of Pond Town had been settled since 1812.

Contact Information

Address P.O. Box 352, Ellaville GA 31806
Telephone 229.937.2609
Fax 229.937.5880
Website http://www.schleycountyga.us

County Data

Snapshot County Snapshot from the GA Dept. of Community Affairs
Census Schley County Census Data from U.S. Census
Other Data Sets County QuickFacts from the U.S. Census Bureau
Georgia Encyclopedia County Page from The New Georgia Encyclopedia
Wages & Salaries Local Government Wage and Salary Survey from DCA
Labor Market Georgia Labor Market Explorer & Analysis
Sales Tax Sales and Property Tax Rates from DOR
Hotel/Motel Tax Hotel/Motel Tax Report from DCA

Statistics and Rates

2008 Population 4255 (State Rank: 152)
Incorporated Millage Rage 11.62
Unincorporated Millage Rate 11.62
County Bond 0
School Maintenance/Operations 16.68
School Bond 2.43
Total Incorporated 30.73
Total Unincorporated 30.73

 

County Officials