Coronavirus: Information for Georgia County Officials
ACCG is closely monitoring the spread of Coronavirus Disease 2019, commonly called Coronavirus – or COVID-19, by staying in touch with our federal and state government partners. ACCG will share any important information received with county officials by email and also post it here as a quick reference so that you can make informed decisions for your community.
At the national level, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is the best source for information. At the state level, Governor Kemp has appointed the Georgia Coronavirus Task Force, led by the Georgia Department of Public Health, to direct information distribution and response.
The first two known cases of COVID-19 in Georgia were announced by Governor Brian Kemp in a press conference held on March 2, 2020.
Below you will find several links to resources that provide more information about COVID-19.
CARES Act, Coronavirus Relief Fund Information
ACCG and GMA have been working with the Governor’s Office since the onset of the pandemic to ensure Georgia’s counties and cities receive the necessary funding to continue the fight against COVID-19. Because of such collective efforts, counties and cities with populations less than 500,000 that did not receive direct allocation from the U.S. Treasury will receive 45% of the state’s Coronavirus Aid, Relief, Economic and Security (CARES) Act funding. In late June, Governor Brian Kemp issued correspondence regarding the distribution of federal CARES Act funds to those local governments. Visit ACCG's page on the CARES Act and Coronavirus Relief Fund for more information and to access resources.
State and Federal Partners in the Fight Against COVID-19
Georgia Department of Publich Health
The State of Georgia has a COVID-19 hotline (844) 442-2681. If you believe that you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 or have been exposed to the novel coronavirus, please contact your primary care doctor or an urgent care clinic. Please do not show up unannounced at an emergency room or health care facility.
- COVID-19 Resources and Materials - guidance for returning to work, public swimming pools, etc.
- Daily Status Reports
- Testing Sites
- Memo to First Responder Agencies – March 27, 2020
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Website
- CDC Information: About COVID-19
- CDC Factsheet: What You Need to Know about COVID-19
- CDC Factsheet: What to Do if You are Sick from COVID-19
- CDC Frequently Asked Questions on COVID-19
- CDC Information on Preventing COVID-19 Spread in Communities
- CDC Information for People Who Need to Take Extra Precaution
- CDC Information for Schools, Communities, Workplaces and Events
Georgia Emergency Management/Homeland Security Agency
- Georgia Emergency Management/Homeland Security Agency Website
- GEMA Overview of FEMA Public Assistance Program
- FEMA Public Assistance Program and Policy Guide
Georgia Secretary of State
Pursuant to the authority vested in Secretary of State Raffensperger by O.C.G.A. § 21-2-50.1, he postponed the Statewide General Primary/Presidential Preference Primary Election until June 9, 2020.
- The press release is available here.
- Infographic on how June 9th was selected as election date
- Elections Q&A with Secretary of State's Office
National Association of Counties
Additional COVID-19 resources for counties can be found on the National Association of Counties (NACo) website.
ACCG Resources for County Officials
- Model Resolution - Face Mask on County Property
- Model Ordinance - Public Face Mask Requirement
- State Laws Impacting Counties During A Public Health Emergency
- Access to and the Use of the Courthouse During a Public Health Emergency
- What Your County Needs to Know About 2020 Census Collections and Outreach
- Essential Service Provider Requests
- Model Resolution Waiving Tax Penalties Interest
- Hospital Diversions
- Employment Law Resources and COVID-19
Other Key Resources
- U.S. Dept. of Treasury Guidance on the Coronavirus Relief Fund
- CISA Guidance on the Essential Critical Infrastructure Workforce
- CDC and CISA Guidance for Essential Workers Who May Have Been Exposed to COVID-19
- CARES Act, Title V: State and Local Allocations
- COVID-19 Resource Guide - Information Provided by U.S.Senator David Perdue's Office
- John's Hopkins Center for Systems Science & Engineering: COVID-19 Global Cases Interactive Map