Coronavirus: Information for Georgia County Officials
ACCG is closely monitoring the spread of Coronavirus Disease 2019, commonly called Coronavirus – or COVID-19, by staying in touch with our federal and state government partners. ACCG will share any important information received with county officials by email and also post it here as a quick reference so that you can make informed decisions for your community.
At the national level, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is the best source for information. At the state level, Governor Kemp has appointed the Georgia Coronavirus Task Force, led by the Georgia Department of Public Health, to direct information distribution and response.
The first two known cases of COVID-19 in Georgia were announced by Governor Brian Kemp in a press conference held on March 2, 2020.
Below you will find several links to resources that provide more information about COVID-19.
State of Georgia Executive Orders
See below for the most current Executive Order issued by Gov. Brian Kemp along with the summary of county implications provided by the ACCG legal department.
Governor's Press Releases
Click here to access press releases issued by Gov. Kemp.
Governor Brian Kemp Signs COVID-19 Liability Legislation (SB 359)
Governor Brian Kemp signed SB 359, legislation addressing COVID-19 liability. One of the provisions of the bill is a rebuttable presumption for assumption of the risk by the claimant if an entity posts specific signage at their point of entry. ACCG encourages you to consult with your county attorney regarding the placement of signage in county facilities. For sample signage with the required language in one-inch Arial font (per the specifications of the legislation), click here. Note that this sample sign must be printed as an 18” x 24” in order to achieve the one-inch requirement as indicated in the legislation.
State and Local Coronavirus Fiscal Recovery Fund - the American Rescue Plan
Congress passed the American Rescue Plan which includes $65.1 billion in direct, flexible aid to counties from the U.S. Treasury to assist with COVID-19 recovery efforts. ACCG will work diligently to support Georgia’s counties and will share U.S. Treasury guidance on eligible expenditures as soon as it becomes available. In addition to monitoring for updates from ACCG and the U.S. Treasury, counties are highly encouraged to visit the National Association of Counties’ (NACo) COVID-19 Recovery Clearinghouse for information and resources.
During a national membership call on March 11, NACo provided a summary of the State and Local Fiscal Recovery Fund and reviewed additional federal assistance for public lands counties. Click here to watch the replay.
State and Federal Partners in the Fight Against COVID-19
Georgia Department of Publich Health
The State of Georgia has a COVID-19 hotline (844) 442-2681. If you believe that you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 or have been exposed to the novel coronavirus, please contact your primary care doctor or an urgent care clinic. Please do not show up unannounced at an emergency room or health care facility.
- Vaccine Locator
- Testing Sites
- COVID-19 Resources and Materials - guidance for returning to work, public swimming pools, etc.
- Daily Status Reports
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Website
- CDC Information: About COVID-19
- CDC Factsheet: What You Need to Know about COVID-19
- CDC Factsheet: What to Do if You are Sick from COVID-19
- CDC Frequently Asked Questions on COVID-19
- CDC Information on Preventing COVID-19 Spread in Communities
- CDC Information for People Who Need to Take Extra Precaution
- CDC Information for Schools, Communities, Workplaces and Events
Georgia Emergency Management/Homeland Security Agency
- Georgia Emergency Management/Homeland Security Agency Website
- GEMA Overview of FEMA Public Assistance Program
- FEMA Public Assistance Program and Policy Guide
National Association of Counties
ACCG Resources for County Officials
- Model Resolution - Face Mask on County Property
- Model Ordinance - Public Face Mask Requirement
- State Laws Impacting Counties During A Public Health Emergency
- Access to and the Use of the Courthouse During a Public Health Emergency
- What Your County Needs to Know About 2020 Census Collections and Outreach
- Essential Service Provider Requests
- Model Resolution Waiving Tax Penalties Interest
- Hospital Diversions
- Employment Law Resources and COVID-19