CARES Act, Coronavirus Relief Fund Information
ACCG and GMA have been working with the Governor’s Office since the onset of the pandemic to ensure Georgia’s counties and cities receive the necessary funding to continue the fight against COVID-19. Because of such collective efforts, counties and cities with populations less than 500,000 that did not receive direct allocation from the U.S. Treasury will receive 45% of the state’s Coronavirus Aid, Relief, Economic and Security (CARES) Act funding. In late June, Governor Brian Kemp issued correspondence regarding the distribution of federal CARES Act funds to those local governments. More details are included in the Governor’s letter and in the corresponding allocation table.
The CARES Act specifically states that funds can be used for expenses directly related to COVID-19, not lost revenue. Qualified expenses must satisfy the following three areas:
- Necessary expenditures incurred due to the COVID-19 public health emergency;
- Costs not accounted for in the most recently approved budget as of March 27, 2020; and
- Costs were incurred between March 1, 2020 and December 30, 2020.
Click here for more information on eligible expenses.
The U.S. Treasury Department has compiled a list of frequently asked questions regarding the Coronavirus Relief Fund and the CARES Act. See here.
Additional information can be found on the OPB CARES Act page.
State of Georgia Resources
The Governor’s Office of Planning and Budget (OPB) provides the gateway to the GeorgiaCARES portal for local governments. Counties should designate one person to check this website daily to review any new resources or guidance that may be posted. Other state resources include:
- Georgia CARES Portal
- Georgia CARES Portal User Guide
- Georgia CARES Portal Training
- Georgia CARES Local Government Training
- Georgia CARES Local Government Training Slides
- Georgia Department of Community Affairs Regional Representatives
"What Georgia Counties Need to Know About CARES Act, Coronavirus Relief Fund" Webinar Resources
Included below are the presentation materials, along with other resources, from the ACCG webinar series on the CARES Act, Coronavirus Relief Fund.
- Phase I Allocation by Local Jurisdiction
- CARES Act Funding Eligibility Q&A from the State of Georgia
- ACCG Webinar PowerPoint Presentation
- ACCG Webinar Recording
- Counties must submit documentation to account for the county’s entire Phase I allocation by September 1, 2020.
- Because every entry will receive a two-step review, ACCG strongly urges counties to submit their documentation as soon as possible.
- Counties must first submit documentation that totals within one dollar of the advance funds that you received (30% of the Phase I allocation). Once the state approves that allocation, you may enter the documentation for the remaining 70% of the Phase I allocation.
- Make every effort to spend your entire Phase I allocation! If you don’t think you can maximize these dollars, please contact ACCG.
ACCG is compiling the questions asked during all three webinars and will share an FAQ document as soon as possible to provide more insight on CRF issues.
The University of Georgia Carl Vinson Institute of Government (CVIOG) has hosted a webinar and distributed guidance related to CARES Act accounting. CVIOG has permitted ACCG to share the following resources:
- CVIOG CARES Act Accounting Webinar
- CARES Act, Coronavirus Relief Fund Additional Guidance for June 30 Year End Governments
For More Information
- If you have CRF questions regarding the portal, credentials or reimbursable expenditures, you can email the State of Georgia at cares.opb.georgia.gov.
- The Department of Community Affairs (DCA) is responsible for the first stage of review for projects that are submitted for reimbursement. Counties can contact their DCA regional representative for questions as well.
ACCG staff available to answer questions include: